You just finished prepping for the July board meeting and if you are like 69% of your peers, you are behind.
Download the sales strategy review to quickly identify why you are behind and what you need to do first to reverse your fate.
3 Mistakes to Avoid
- Blame the Economy— The board knows you are behind and so does your boss. You want to please your boss. We all do. Please him by taking a bullet and admitting you failed to prepare properly at this time last year. Companies are thriving right now. Best in class sales forces are ahead of the number.
- Oversell Pipeline—Every sales leader is known to have rose colored glasses. “It is coming”. You will lose credibility and be grouped with every other average leader who tries to spin bad news.
- Wait and See – Remember, things happen slowly, then suddenly. You are not behind because of what you did in April. You are behind because of what you didn’t do in Q3 of last year. So instead of beating the same drum and calling an “all hands” meeting, demonstrate your commitment in the second half to act differently.
What should you do?
Ask yourself if any of the 4 problems below are happening in your sales force.
- Thrashing – The wrong solutions implemented due to incorrectly diagnosed sales problems. Result: lots of effort but very few results.
- Detachment – Sales strategy selected with no understanding of industry/company/product life cycle. Result: a go-to-market plan not in sync with target markets.
- Sequencing – Poorly ordered programs that cancel each other out. Result: improperly sequenced set of solutions causing change fatigue.
- Alienation – No appreciation for the level of day-to-day impact on the rest of the company. Result: further deteriorating sales results and entry into the “valley of death”, destroying morale.
The VP of Sales is paid to make the in-year revenue quota; you can miss once if you show signs of making noticeable improvements to ensure you don’t miss twice.