Scott Tapp, former CEO of Software Brands, joins us to discuss the evolution from being head of sales to becoming a CEO. The former sales leader turned CEO gives valuable insights that he has learned along his journey, and how to leverage your own path to the top job.
Click here for the podcast version of this interview.
Segment 1: What Does it Take to Become a CEO?
- Thinking about the company strategically outside of the day-to-day sales role. minute 4:12
- Leveraging insight from your CFO. minute 8:27
Skip to minute 6:09 to hear how Scott seeks out his own gaps:
“So, as I think about how to broaden your capabilities, first of all, you’ve got to be super curious, right? Curiosity of understanding different things and understanding the things that maybe you just don’t know. You’ve got to know your strengths and weaknesses or your gaps…”
Segment 2: The Path to CEO
- Determining if the CEO role is the right fit. minute 11:27
- Will you thrive as a CEO at your current company? minute 13:28
Skip to minute 14:34 to hear Scott share his views on gaining experience along your ascent to CEO:
“You can broaden your experience of what it’s like to go into a new company, and learning the dynamics of that which is super important. And then, for sure, the last piece of that would be taking an opportunity to a new company. I mean, give it a shot, if that’s your dream, you’ve got to do it…”
Segment 3: The Evolution of Managing a Board
- Changing the perception of your identity within the company. minute 16:55
- The continual evolution into understanding structures as a CEO. minute 20:05
Skip to minute 21:30 to listen to Scott share a fundamental exercise that helped him excel in his career.
“You can really gain a lot of information and insight just from reading. And, I think annual reports, and not just the financials, that can be boring, but the financial footnotes is where you can get a ton of insight and education…”