Our guest today is Mike Huseman, Senior Vice President of Global Sales and Business Development at EnterpriseDB. Mike is a proven revenue growth leader who has successfully navigated his sales organization to transition from field selling to a model that more fully leverages virtual selling while keeping in pace with the buyer’s preferences for sales interactions.
Today we are going to demonstrate how to leverage what we have historically referred to as Inside Sales which enables you to drive profitable growth through a virtual, digitally enabled sales team.
Each of the topics below are timestamped so you can easily find what interests you most.
Segment 1: Leading a Sales Transformation
- You have led a remarkable transformation at EnterpriseDB. The audience will find your story valuable as a use-case. Share with the audience an overview of what you faced when you began this transformation journey. minute 4:30 – 7:00
- Decision to transition field-based selling resources to virtual sellers, and evaluating the buying preferences of your target buyers to determine which accounts should be field vs. virtual. minute 7:00 – 9:09
- Changing your coverage model relative to technical (sales engineers versus sellers), and aligning your buyer’s journeys. minute 9:32 – 11:51
- Securing buy-in from the rest of the c-level team, and from the board (and investors). minute 12:25 – 15:03
Skip to minute 5:27 to hear Mike discuss innovative, alternative routes to market things like inside sales:
“Traditionally, we had high-powered sellers in the field that spent a lot of time at customer sites. What we found over the past few years are: 1) buyers buy differently today, 2) the way that sellers sell and interact today has to change along with that, 3) the technology that’s available to accomplish a virtual selling motion has to compliment the buyer’s journey…”
Segment 2: The Process of Transitioning to Virtual Selling
- The processes Mike followed to transition from a prior structure to the new structure. minute 6:15 – 17:52
- The process Mike followed to determine quotas comp plans for his new virtual sellers. minute 18:23 – 20:40
- Guiding the change management to successfully transition your selling team; for both those in sales who shifted from field to virtual, and also those sellers remaining in the field. minute 21:55 – 23:57
- Deciding whether or not traditional enterprise sellers can make the shift in structure to become virtual sellers. minute 24:27 – 26:00
Listen to minute 18:57 when Mike talks quota and full coverage while going through a sales transformation.
“We looked at what we wanted to grow. We looked at the historical productivity rates. We gauge and measure our sellers on two metrics, and those metrics only…”
Segment 3: The Impact of the Sales Transformation
- The impact this change had on your prospects and customers, and their early feedback. minute 28:04 – 29:21
- Rolling out and communicating the change in the rep to the customer? minute 29:22 – 31:44
- Shifting from field to Insides Sales, and the impact of that shift on LTV and Customer Acquisition Costs (CAC). minute 31:45 – 34:03
Skip to minute 30:03 to hear Mike talk about his customer success function:
“We’ve just recently graduated to a full customer success motion. But before that we had implemented a programmatic approach, an interaction style, and consistent interaction program built in our customer success that focuses on every one of our customers. Now, the other thing we do with this, and I believe this is critical, is pull the sales mentality out of our customer success motion…”
Don’t miss any of the new SBI TV shows as they are released with 2-3 shows each week. iPhone users should download the to have access and notifications brought to your commute, travel, and workout routine.