A couple of friends have taken over executive marketing roles recently. Shortly after starting, they both asked me the same question. “How do I determine whether I have the right talent on the team?” There are number of ways to solve for this question. This post can help. Download the Marketing Team Assessment Tool here. Utilize this is your first 45 days or whenever you feel a gap or opportunity exists for improvement.
Why Use the Tool?
Your success is directly related to the quality of your team. If you’re new to the role, this is a great way to level-set your talent. Not all competencies are relevant to every position. The depth of each response should be considered when evaluating senior vs. junior team members.
The tool identifies key competencies and provides a definition of each. Use the tool to guide one-on-one conversations with your team. Ask the marketing team member to provide examples both in the current role or prior positions. If relevant, have them follow-up with the example and walk you through it. Gain insights into how they make decisions. Understand the expectations of them by reviewing examples.
Ask each of your key players to provide a sample of their recent work. Assess the sample to determine their role in the project. Often times you will find that they were a small player, not the lead. Clarity of breadth and depth are essential to define participation level. The result of the interview is not just a better understanding of the competencies. The assessment provides additional insight into marketing processes overall.
How This Tool Helps
The tool provides a wide range of benefits. Here are top reasons to take advantage of it:
- You will know what’s working or not working in the model or structure
- You’ll gain early insight or adaptability options
- The risks in front of you will become clear
- Your communication with your team will be more effective
- You’ll determine who has the opportunity to do more
- You’ll quickly see who is struggling with role or process clarity
Results of Utilizing Assessment Tool
Here are the results you can expect after you complete the assessments:
- Quick, clear understanding of the players you’ll rely on
- Determination if additional expertise is required
- An opportunity to define developmental opportunities
- Insight into the internal processes and areas of improvement
- A quick start at developing team chemistry and buy-in
Download the Marketing Team Assessment Tool here. Then schedule a 60-90 minute meeting with each team member individually. Complete the assessment for each team member. Map out your potential gaps on the organization chart. Develop the staffing road map and individual development plans (IDP) for each team member.
If you have any questions or concerns contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll spend 30 minutes walking through the Marketing Team Assessment Tool and discuss any gaps.