It all starts with Lead Management Process – Steps to Develop
A lead management process is required for repeatable best-in-class performance. The following is a high-level overview of the main steps involved in developing a process for your company:
- Performance Review – Identify metrics that exist today, what can be tracked, and establish a baseline.
- Content Assessment – Map existing content to the buying stages and perform gap analysis.
- Sales team discovery – Understand the lead hand-off and criteria for qualification.
- Identify the Buying Process – This typically includes anywhere from 2-5 stages depending on the complexity of the solution.
- Understand the Ideal Customer Profile (ICP) – Review account segmentation areas of focus and document characteristics of the target audience.
Design of Lead Management Process (version 0.5)
- Develop a common definition of a “lead” across the organization
- Identify key stakeholders from sales, marketing, IT and finance to participate in a collaborative planning session.
- For each step in the buying process, document the following:
- Stage Definition – One sentence definition of the purpose of the phase.
- Steps – List of steps in order of accomplishment that guides the Lead Development Rep (LDR) in what they should be doing to move the prospect forward.
- What is the minimum level contact information received to be a considered an “Inquiry”?
- Develop grading based on contact and firmographic data to measure the quality of the fit to your ICP.
- Develop scoring based on activities and behavior that show the level of interest.
- Establish qualification criteria for a lead to be worthy of sales investment of time.
- Design nurture campaign frameworks.
- Identify qualification criteria and requirements for delivery to sales.
- Establish requirements for feedback loop with sales.
- Exit Criteria– Description of a specific action that indicates the buyer has moved to the next step in the buying process.
- Job Aids – List of tools and resources The LDR can use in this phase to help achieve the Exit Criteria.
- Expert Panel – Assemble a cross-functional team to review and validate the steps (Update process to version 0.75).
- Pilot – Closely monitor testing of the process with a sub-set of staff and make appropriate continuous improvement revisions (update process to version 1.0).
Lead Management Process – Template
Developing a lead management process has some of the same characteristics of a sales process. The following is a best-in-class award winning template developed by Sales Benchmark Index.
Lead Management Process – Sample Stage
The following is a sample Consideration Stage process to give you an insight into the definition, steps, exit criteria and job aids.
The elements of success for standing up a Lead Generation LDR team involve the following key attributes:
- Lead Definition – Define what a “Lead” is for your company among both sales and marketing so the term is objective and not up for different interpretations.
- Lead Management Process – Define ownership of prospects and contacts at points of inquiry, within the CRM, standard operating procedures to support lead nurturing, qualifying requirements, and points of hand off to sales.