Our guest today is Gabe Larsen, the VP of InsideSales Labs for InsideSales.com. Gabe provides a behind-the-scenes look at building and operating one of the best sales development rep teams that we’ve ever had the benefit of examining. InsideSales.com has experienced tremendous growth and the Sales Development Representative has played a significant role by filling the funnel with quality opportunities.
Listen as Gabe and I demonstrate how to fill the funnel with real sales opportunities that will drive revenue growth for your company. If you prefer to watch a HD Video of the interview, click here. Gabe and I leverage SBI’s How to Make Your Number in 2018 as a guide for our interview. Turn to the Sales Strategy section and flip to the Prospecting phase starting on page 358.
So why this topic? Marketing is going to contribute to about 30% of the pipeline, which means the sales needs to generate the remaining 70% of the sales opportunities. Pipeline per rep varies too much without a standard prospecting process used by all. So, lead quality and lead to opportunity conversion rates suffer when prospecting is left up to each individual sales rep.
Gabe reveals, “Prospecting has become an interesting concept, especially in the tech space. How do you build that go to market strategy when it comes to structure? We’ve broken it down into three key areas: Small business, Medium business, and Enterprise business. But to facilitate a bigger pipeline, we jumped on the train, and now have, what I consider to be one of the biggest innovations in sales in the last decade, and that is that sales development team.”
We begin with Gabe proving a sense of place by outlining the InsideSales.com sales organization and the various roles involved in prospecting for new customers. We then dive into the business case for the investment in building the Sales Development team of SDRs.
In the middle segment of the show Gabe describes the prospecting process, the steps of engagement and how to make it easy to execute with technology. We wrap up this segment by discussing the marketing support required to empower the SDR team, and how the SDR team support the marketing efforts to drive your buyers to your content and events.
The SDR career track is a hotly debated topic among sales leadership, and we discuss the career opportunities the SDR role provides for the sales force. Gabe explains:
“There is a career track, and that’s the great thing about stratification. You can come in as a mid-market SDR and move into an inbound rep, hone your skill, get the practice, and then move into that enterprise role. That’s sometimes a year, a couple of years, but at that point, you’re a pretty good prospector. Then if you want to jump into the closer role, you have the SMB track, the mid-market and enterprise. Very rarely do we push people obviously, from sales development into enterprise. But it was fantastic to move them into a mid-market or to an SMB type of role.”
We summarize the show by describing the top metrics that indicate success and/or failure of the prospecting process. Make sure to take the time to listen to the full postcast. The level of execution that Gabe describes will have sales leaders taking notes on how to set up and execute a high performance SDR team.
If you would like to download the entire transcript of the interview, click here.
An Additional Resource