Field Marketing has become a corrupted role. Sales often under-utilizes their capabilities and Marketing doesn’t provide adequate support. By reading this post you’ll recognize if this is happening in your organization. You’ll also find out what to do to correct it. To more deeply assess your company’s field marketing, download the How to Make Your Number in 2017 workbook and turn to pages 244 – 247.
The Field Marketing team plays a crucial role. Rarely do marketing leaders leverage field marketing for content. Yet field marketing managers are closest to the buyer and sales field. World class marketing organizations leverage field marketing for content development.
Here’s a simple list of these content-related responsibilities:
- Messaging alignment across Direct, Channel and Inside Sales
- Content Lifecycle Management
- Buyer Intelligence
- Value Proposition Creation
- Buyer Process Map (BPM) Content Alignment
- Geo-specific talk tracks and sales materials
Can you really afford to live with a corrupted and ineffective field marketing team? World class marketing organizations provide content to support the prospect or client buying processes.
The Four Keys to Success
The success of any Lead Generation program relies on 4 critical components:
I listed Content last because it is the most often overlooked ingredient in this recipe. It’s not just about having content. It’s about having the right amount of content matched to the various buying stages. This supports the ability to move prospects and clients through the process from start to finish. This approach avoids having leads drop out of the funnel.
Download the Field Marketer’s Content Audit Tool to determine your content gaps. The Content Audit utilizes an example of a Buyer Process Map (BPM). You’ll need to insert your own BPM with associated buyer macro & micro questions. For more information on how to do this, refer to this blog post.
What’s a Field Marketer’s Content Audit?
It’s a tool designed to identify the gaps/gulfs in your content Go To Market readiness.
What does a Field Marketer’s Content Audit do?
It fulfills 2 primary functions:
- Forces you to determine where your content gaps/gulfs reside. This is performed relative to the micro questions your buyers are asking themselves. Micro questions are asked throughout the buying process from “not in the market” to “implementation.”
- Provides a dashboard report of the percentage of content missing based on the assessment rating.
What does it mean to implement a Field Marketer’s Content Audit?
Completing the Audit means you:
- Have the correct type and quantity of content to support buyers. This is required throughout every phase of the buyer process map.
- Are answering the micro questions the buyer is asking in order to advance the buyers process.
- Are effectively prioritizing and assigning content ownership to fill the identified gaps.
- Can increase the quality and quantity of the leads provided by Marketing to Sales.
- Can effectively generate a return on your marketing spend.
- Are putting Sales in the best possible position to be successful.
The Field Marketer’s Content Audit helps you identify gaps in your GTM content. Using it will identify the content needed to effectively enable the sales force. After conducting the content audit you’ll be in position to answer the following questions:
- What questions is the content answering?
- What content do we have compared with what we need?
- Where in the buyer process map are we missing content?
- Is our content pulling the prospects and clients through their buying process?
- Is our content answering critical macro & micro buyer questions?
Download the Field Marketers Content Audit tool. Review the Content Audit requirements against your current BPM content. The result will be a content gap which prevents field marketing success. Identify those in Marketing responsible for content creation and review the gaps of the audit.
Ultimately, field marketing is the connective tissue between corporate and the field. Without it, marketing teams will fail to produce revenue. If you want to go deeper, download the How to Make Your Number in 2017 workbook. It’s the guide marketing leaders leverage to consistently contribute revenue growth, year after year, and is your ticket to make the number.