Today’s topic is Product Launch and Messaging. Joining us is Rob Lips, Vice President of U.S. Sales and Channel Marketing at Intuit. Rob lead sales, channel marketing and analytics across Intuit’s retail, e-tail, inside sales, resellers, OEMs and financial Institutions. He is responsible for a +$900M business with a team of over 500 people.
Product launches fail to generate revenue when sales people and channel partners are not involved in messaging development during pre-launch preparations. When messaging is developed in isolation it is not compelling enough to get your customers to act. Stories told directly to customers by well-trained sales channels enable customers and prospects to answer “Why change?” and this stimulates latent demand while leading to exceptional revenue growth.
Watch as Rob talks through the messaging and storytelling approach based on his experience of successfully launching many products. Success requires sales reps to defeat the status quo. Rob explains how to develop and roll-out messaging where sales can tell stories about somebody else who in a similar situation took the plunge, and how they used your products and services to get to a better outcome.
If after listening you need more help, consider downloading our 10th annual workbook, How to Make Your Number in 2017. It was written for executive leadership teams inside of companies with aggressive revenue growth targets who have a lot on the line and not a lot of time to waste.
During this video podcast, Rob will answer these questions with Intuit as a use case:
- How do you enable your salespeople to bring to light the real-life problems your customers are looking to solve?
- How do you involve salespeople in the product launch message development and story creation?
- Is the messaging you provide your sales team the same messaging they provide to the customer?
- Does your organization suffer from message distortion (i.e. when your sales people receiving one message that is different than the message your customers receive)?
- Do you use a story telling methodology (i.e. hero’s journey) as your primary messaging framework?
- How do you make sure your stories are powerful enough to compel your customers to act?
- How do you compete with (and position against) the status quo?
- How do your sales reps convince customers of the urgency to move from the status quo?
- Please share your “why change” story.
- Have you defined and published best-practice story delivery for your salespeople?
- In what ways do you push new stories to your salespeople in engaging bites of content?
- What coaching resources do you provide to reinforce your new messaging down to the front-line reps?
Most sales leaders are carrying a big number tied to new products just launched or soon to be launched. However, research is finding that product launches are failing at an alarming rate. Compelling messaging is mission critical. Without it sales people will struggle selling the new product.
To go deeper, download our 10th annual workbook, How to Make Your Number in 2017. Turn to page 143 of the PDF to evaluate your readiness for the next Product Launch.