Joining us on the is Ryan Mang, Chief Revenue Officer for Axial. Axial is a private network that connects members through an online platform, intimate events, curated introductions, and the most sophisticated deal-oriented matching engine in the world.
Ryan came up through the ranks of large enterprise sales forces and now is leading sales for a high-growth tech company emerging from the startup phase and into the scale phase. He’s here to share his experience.
In today’s show, Ryan and Matt demonstrate how an enterprise sales leader brings the best of the enterprise to a fast-growing tech company.
Click here to watch the video version of the podcast.
Below is a timestamped summary of the show segments and the topics covered.
Segment 1: From Startup to Scale
- Biggest challenges going into a hyper growth tech company. minute 4:14
- Performance condition items to jump start a transformation. minute 6:02
- Core building blocks. minute 7:56
Skip to minute 6:10 to listen to Ryan detail the performance conditions that can help transform your organization or team:
“Accountability to professional network growth is something that gets a little bit lost within the modern age sales organization, even though we put such an emphasis on things like LinkedIn and networking. The people that are actually going out and doing these things are the ones that are going above and beyond. It’s not just sales…”
Segment 2: Talent
- Assessing your current team. minute 9:47
- Advice for new sales leaders. minute 11:30
- Incorporating the rigor of a bigger company at a smaller company. minute 13:31
- Training your team. minute 15:30
Skip to minute 9:58 to hear Ryan discuss best practices for assessing your current team:
“You have to scale down your expectations of technology that’s going to support some of your talent management or talent evaluation initiatives when you’re in a young startup type of environment. You have to do this a little bit ad hoc. It has to be one-on-one. It has to be on-the-spot coaching. You have to take the time to do those things. It goes a really long way…”
Segment 3: Utilizing Data
- Leveraging the output of market segmentation and account segmentation at both the sales and marketing levels. minute 18:34
- Utilizing predictive analytics. minute 20:26
- Account-based marketing. minute 22:38
Skip to minute 19:13 to get Ryan’s advice on leveraging market and account segmentation as a revenue leader:
“I’ve come to the conclusion that understanding your audience from top to bottom, whether you’re a marketer, a sales person, and then planning your strategy, planning your segmentation, taking content and placing it where people are not only reading it but really believing in it and leveraging it in their own professional lives, there’s nothing more valuable you can do…”
For help with any of the topics you heard about today, click the banner below to download our Q3 Go-to-Market planning guide.