Nothing short of an all-star lineup can execute on your corporate strategy. If you field an average executive team, you are likely to miss your revenue growth objective. For a comprehensive set of considerations to help define your corporate talent strategy, download our 10th annual workbook, How to Make Your Number in 2017. Turn to the talent section on pages 100 – 15 of the workbook.
As your go-to-market planning evolves, so do the requirements of your corporate strategy to hit objectives. At times, the revenue growth strategy calls for a new set of competencies that the existing team does not possess.
A danger area arises when competitors have a talent advantage that results in them winning more than they should. Mismatch talent to your corporate strategy and you will suffer from significant execution problems, which leads to missing the number.
Consider the following five questions to evaluate how well your executive talent aligns with corporate strategy:
- Career stage: Does the career stage of your sales and marketing leaders match the life cycle stage of the industry, company, and product?
- Growth objectives: If growth will come from market expansion, market share gain, or new market exposure, are the skills of sales and marketing leadership appropriate?
- Routes to market: Has there been a change in routes to market recently? If so, did this call for a corresponding change in sales and marketing talent?
- Channel strategy: If innovative channels of distribution were made available, would this require adding sales and marketing leadership talent?
- Talent profile: What attributes and competencies do your buyers value in sales and marketing leaders? Do the profiles of your leadership team reflect the profiles of the buyers inside target accounts?
To increase your probability of success, match the capabilities of your executive leadership team to the requirements and objectives of your corporate strategy. If you would like help with your talent strategy, visit The Studio, SBI’s multimillion dollar, one-of-a-kind, state-of-the-art executive briefing center. A visit to The Studio increases the probability of making your number because the sessions are built on the proven strength and stability of SBI, the industry leader in B2B sales and marketing.