Today’s topic is how to make marketing scientific through a marketing operations department. As a guide to this conversation, download our 10th annual workbook, How to Make Your Number in 2017. Turn to the marketing operations phase on pages 248 – 251 of the PDF. You’ll find a worksheet approach where you can start to analyze your team.
Why this topic? Data is everywhere. Channels are exploding. Technology is changing. Executives require more detailed reporting. Marketing can no longer rely on intuition and experience is no longer enough. You are living in the “show me” era, and this means marketers need a little less art and a little more science.
Joining us is Arnaud Kraajvanger, the Vice President of Marketing Insights and Operations for Genesys. Genesys provides customer experience contact center solutions. More than 10,000 companies in over 100 countries trust the industry’s #1 customer experience platform to orchestrate seamless omnichannel customer journeys. Watch as Arnaud describes how marketing operations is in a unique position with more data than ever to have a significant impact on the business.
In the first segment Arnaud describes the outcomes marketing operations drives toward to make the company and marketing more effective. Data-driven insights help us in the following areas:
- Perform better planning
- Optimize investments for where we place our bets that will give us the highest return
- Segmentation that identifies the right customers, and how can we optimize our conversion
Watch as Arnaud describes the organization structure and roles of a marketing operations team. We discuss the specific roles and the work relationships between marketing operations and other parts of the organization.
Arnaud and I discuss the following questions throughout the show to demonstrate how to transition to a more scientific marketing department.
- How do you measure the effectiveness of the marketing team?
- Please describe your analytics strategy.
- Please describe the data and systems architecture that supports the marketing ops team.
- How do you calculate the cost to acquire a customer?
- How do you calculate the life time value of a customer?
- How do you make sure your forecast is accurate?
If you need more help with data-driven marketing, download our 10th annual workbook, How to Make Your Number in 2017. Turn to pages 248 – 251 of the PDF. To request a workshop with SBI’s marketing operations subject matter expert, simply sign up for a MySBI account and check the box in your preferences to request a workshop.